Sunday, August 9, 2009

Heroes and Childhood...

Along the lines of Steve's last post:

"I don't know exactly where ideas come from, but when I'm working well ideas just appear. I've heard other people say similar things -- so it's one of the ways I know there's help and guidance out there. It's just a matter of our figuring out how to receive the ideas or information that are waiting to be heard."

"Simple is good."
-Jim Henson

I came up with an idea or three today for some children's books. My best friend growing up just had her first child a couple of weeks ago, and my cousin did as well (making me an auntie!), and it occurred to me that I should have something for them. Something written and created just for them, and with them as inspiration to start them on this crazy life journey. They're based on what it was like for me growing up. I had some pretty amazing adventures, I'll have you know!

When I was a kid, my mom would make up stories for me to help me with my problems, and it's something I've never forgotten... perhaps that was planting the seed for later work on my part? I still remember some of those stories, and would like to develop them a bit further also. The recent finding of a notebook kept by my mom and I on one of those stories in particular seems to be a poke in that direction. Originally that story idea was being put together for a pitch to Sierra as an adventure game. I'd drawn out maps and locations and characters... those are long gone, alas, but I think it's time I revisited that and brought it to life again.

When a story (or three!) won't leave you alone, that's a sure sign you've got to take it and run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment